Author Topic: RV1S Without DSP Board  (Read 223 times)

dogboy

• View Profile
RV1S Without DSP Board
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
Hello,

Many years ago I purchased an RV1S, which worked fine for many years. I have not used it for 5+ years and I am now trying to get it working / upgraded.
The first issue is that one of the NFS110 PSUs has died so I cannot actually power it up. I am looking for a suitable cheap PSU (+5V, -5V, +12V, -12V).

If possible I intend to upgrade the PC to a P4 with W98 and an SSD and hopefully find the latest version of the placer software that will work.
If so what version of software could I use and where can I get it?

This was sold to me as a RV1S (See Pictures) but the PC does not have a DSP card fitted, the main control box is driven serially from the PC.
I would like to find out how much I can upgrade this machine. Would a DSP card work (and maybe replacement control box)? And if so would the cost be worth it over any performance or stability improvements? Depending or availability of parts and cost of course. Maybe a scrap machine for spares might come up on ebay?

The PCB in the control box is Version 1.1.

Basically I am just looking at what would be possible and if it would be worth it.

Any information or suggestions regarding this would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Paul

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RV1S Without DSP Board
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:10:49 PM »
I think maybe it's an RV1, not RV1s. As far as I know, the 1s uses completely different (DOS?) software, and doubt the 1/4s software has any support for the older hardware

dogboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
I thought that might be the case but I thought the RV1 didn't have the camera?

My machine runs on W95

Might have to stick with what I have then.

Cheers

Paul

phonoplug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
Wow I've never seen long feeders like those before!

SteveW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
I've got some of that style, if you feel the need!
Space is always at a premium around my machines, so I've never fired them up - but they do look like they'd be a bit quicker to load  (and reload).
Still, planning's in for new workshop, so maybe I can spread out a bit soon...

dogboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
Hello,

The feeders are very long, but one of them is the newer short version. (See extra pic of the feeders, just in case anyone is interested)
Just trying to work out what I have, a RV1S, RV1 or some other mixed up version. Knowing my luck it was a one off prototype.

They used to all work fine but until I replace one of the PSU's in the main controller I won't know what does and does not work.
I am looking forward to getting back up and running.

Thanks for your replies. Any other information that might help will be handy.

Cheers

Paul