Author Topic: rvplace keeps crashing on new win98 build  (Read 145 times)

trev

• View Profile
rvplace keeps crashing on new win98 build
« on: January 25, 2019, 11:45:41 PM »
Hi

Thanks all for the win98 upgrade instructions and the general information on building a new pc. I decided to take the win95 machine I had and upgrade to win98 to enable usb support.

Whilst at it I cleaned the PC and got rid of all the dust build up.

I seem to have a problem with the win98 system though. I run rvplace and it performs a warmup okay. Also the dsptest runs perfectly. When I select fuducial correct though it moves to the right position but as soon as it tries to access the camera it crashes. I used the driver for the video card based on the information recently posted about building a pc.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

Trev

Jason

• View Profile
Re: rvplace keeps crashing on new win98 build
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 01:11:44 AM »
Sounds like a problem with the pxc200 image capture card driver.
Did you start from scratch or just do an in place upgrade from 95?

trev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:17:47 AM »
Started from scratch.

trev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »
Okay sorted. I did not actully install the rv software. I just copied the folder across. I should have installed it properly ( as per the instructions ) and then copied the dat file across. I noticed that when I clicked factory settings it was asking if I wanted to create a new dats so that indicated it was dat file issue rather than camera driver.

Once I installed the software and copied my dat file across everything magically worked.

Awesome.

One thing. When I was upgrading I needed to search for the usb driver for mass storage. It would be good to put a sticky up with the driver. I found one but is there a link to a microsoft/trusted one?

Trerv

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »
Yeah, when you use the installer it installs the pxc2 vxd in the windows system.

If that's not present the dll in the app directory tries to open a handle to the driver
and it fails.... not very user friendly as it could at least give a hint to what went wrong.

Cubik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »
Ref the USB mass storage driver, have a look for nusb36e - seems to work OK.

There are a few sites where you can download this but some seem to come with viruses. The .exe should be 970Kb (to fit on a FDD!)