rvplace keeps crashing on new win98 build

Started by trev, January 25, 2019, 10:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trev

Hi

Thanks all for the win98 upgrade instructions and the general information on building a new pc. I decided to take the win95 machine I had and upgrade to win98 to enable usb support.

Whilst at it I cleaned the PC and got rid of all the dust build up.

I seem to have a problem with the win98 system though. I run rvplace and it performs a warmup okay. Also the dsptest runs perfectly. When I select fuducial correct though it moves to the right position but as soon as it tries to access the camera it crashes. I used the driver for the video card based on the information recently posted about building a pc.

Anyone experienced this issue before?

Trev

Jason

Sounds like a problem with the pxc200 image capture card driver.
Did you start from scratch or just do an in place upgrade from 95?

trev

trev

Okay sorted. I did not actully install the rv software. I just copied the folder across. I should have installed it properly ( as per the instructions ) and then copied the dat file across. I noticed that when I clicked factory settings it was asking if I wanted to create a new dats so that indicated it was dat file issue rather than camera driver.

Once I installed the software and copied my dat file across everything magically worked.

Awesome.

One thing. When I was upgrading I needed to search for the usb driver for mass storage. It would be good to put a sticky up with the driver. I found one but is there a link to a microsoft/trusted one?

Trerv

Jason

Yeah, when you use the installer it installs the pxc2 vxd in the windows system.

If that's not present the dll in the app directory tries to open a handle to the driver
and it fails.... not very user friendly as it could at least give a hint to what went wrong.

Cubik

Ref the USB mass storage driver, have a look for nusb36e - seems to work OK.

There are a few sites where you can download this but some seem to come with viruses. The .exe should be 970Kb (to fit on a FDD!)