Service

Started by lurowl, June 18, 2012, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurowl

I no this is a long shot being as the machines are quiet old nowadays but does anyone know of anybody that services these machines. I have managed to correct most problems but somethings are just beyond me

Gopher

The user SkyWalker seems (possibly) to have a contact with at least some connection with these machines, perhaps he might share them with you.
David Clements, formerly of Versatronics, VSMT and ViVo has also traditionally offered his services which he sold/invoiced via a company called GreenKipper. This was offered on a similar basis to a service contract, you had to pay a (bi)annual fee to gain access to his stock of spares, consumables and of course his time and knowledge. However I am unsure whether this is something he still offers, he has recently voiced extreme frustration (on here and directly) over a number of issues, ranging from "bad advice" being given on this forum to the fact many people will not take him up on his offers of help/support in a manner that makes it viable for him to offer it. There was even some suggestion he might dispose of his equipment to an interested 3rd party, tho' if that had happened one would assume they would appear on here offering their services.

Mike

There are some very experienced users here - if you describe the issues you have we may be able to help.

Gopher

Between us we can almost certainly advise on day to day running, some of the software oddities, calibrating  the fixed and on the fly cameras and other basic questions.
Easily acquired standard parts include the vacuum pump, all the O-rings that are used as drive belts and tool tips and in theory the cameras (provided one can relocate them on the machine).
Phonoplug also makes replacement PCB's for the Arm, Feeders and the ISA carrier card (possibly others?).
The tools/nozzles can be made by anyone with a CNC machine and some Acetal, we have acquired quotes before form a proper engineering firm but the tooling charge meant it needed higher volumes to prove worthwhile. This may not be true any longer - depends on who currently has stocks and who they will sell them too. What's needed is a chum with a machine.
The PC it runs on should be replaceable with a bit of searching on eBay, there is some question as to exactly what the minimum spec might be. Most installed machines seem to be PIII 700-800mhz models

Currently not possible:
To my knowledge nobody has much experience with the contents of the Power Module box, I can only recall one fault that occurred in this area on my machine some time ago.
As yet I think nobody has fully/successfully established a full calibration routine but it seems quite likely that someone may find the time/motivation/cojones to do so at some point
If your Z-Axis rack and pinion is worn out that could be a problem, the same is probably true of the drive belt and motors. Z-Axis wear will certainly let you know, the machine goes ape and totally loses track of the head.

Mike

QuoteAs yet I think nobody has fully/successfully established a full calibration routine but it seems quite likely that someone may find the time/motivation/cojones to do so at some point
And most imporatantly it appears that all the info and software required is available, so should be doable once someone sits down and tries.
QuoteTo my knowledge nobody has much experience with the contents of the Power Module box, I can only recall one fault that occurred in this area on my machine some time ago.
There's nothing in there that couldn't be replaced fairly easily - it's just PSU and stepper drivers - I'm sure substitutes for the latter could be obtained pretty easily assuming the originals are obsolete.
I think there is scope to easily repair smaller nozzles by drilling out and  using inserts , maybe stainless dispensing needles.

Gopher

Dispensing needles are exactly what is used by many manual P&P machines, so they certainly work. Personally I couldn't find anything to hand to cut thin Stainless tube cleanly. Another option I looked at was buying thin Acetal tubing/rods, seems to be fairly easy to buy in 3m lengths IIRC. However that's as far as I got it was much easier just to buy new ones at the time than fiddle around using my none-existent craft skills.

Mike

Quote from: Gopher on June 18, 2012, 03:22:24 PM
Dispensing needles are exactly what is used by many manual P&P machines, so they certainly work. Personally I couldn't find anything to hand to cut thin Stainless tube cleanly.
Dremel + fine grinding wheel, or a fine needle file

phonoplug

Without trying to focus on just one point, I found a great company several years ago that would supply pre-cut stainless tube of the sort of sizes you are talking about. The only down side was the MOQ.... until they told you the price! They would do you a bag of perhaps several hundred as a MOQ, but would only cost £20-30.

This is them:

http://www.stainlesstubeandneedle.co.uk/