IC stick feeders?

Started by fcb, April 06, 2011, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidc

we have a you tube site in progress.

it will show all the "how to's" so those who are interested will see " how to" before they buy..

Our typical training requirement  on the VIVO lasts 1 day... Go compare..

Lower cost of implemention, introduction and ownership...

the 20 years of experience in SMT production equipment is rather handy sometimes..

davidc

Quote from: fcb on April 06, 2011, 11:29:32 PM
So I guess the tried/tested vibratory feeder is the thing.  As we only have DC available then we will synthesize any drive signal for a vibrator so freq/amplitude and perhaps even waveshape would be easily adjustable via the main menu, so we could certainly 'optimise' things for an IC.

if it plays the Dr Who theme while it does it, it will be perfect! ;) Perhaps some funky sounds as it slides down the tube? ;D

Gopher

Not owning a 24mm feeder I currently go the other way, out of tape and into tube, not funny when theres 1800 a time.

davidc

thats my point... the prices of feeders are excessive...

we recently put a proposal forward for a client who needs to place larger parts.... the smile on his face was priceless. :) So we gave him a feeder for free.

Mike

So I guess the tried/tested vibratory feeder is the thing.  As we only have DC available then we will synthesize any drive signal for a vibrator so freq/amplitude and perhaps even waveshape would be easily adjustable via the main menu, so we could certainly 'optimise' things for an IC.
Once you have the shape right I'm not sure you'd need anything more than amplitude adjustment. How about a DC motor with offset weight?
Adjustable end-stops per lane do-able, although width would be a tough ask.
Agreed - endstop is much more useful - with endstop adjust you could easily cover all length  variants of a given width - two widths would cover a high proportion of SO's - for a multi-lane vib it would be reasonable to maybe have a mix of widths. As wear wouldn't be a big issue, maybe widths could be done with some interchangeable lasercut acrylic inserts that you supply a selection of - the user could file down specials as required.

davidc

The VIVO vibe feeders accept any...thats right any tube... or you can redesign the wheel of course.... :)

fcb

DC motors, with weights, hmmm - worth thinking about.  Pager vibrator motors seem to be plentiful? Perhaps one per tube.

I don't like the idea of getting a consistent supply of those though, but food for thought though.

fcb

Quote from: Mike on April 06, 2011, 11:54:37 PM
Agreed - endstop is much more useful - with endstop adjust you could easily cover all length variants of a given width - two widths would cover a high proportion of SO's - for a multi-lane vib it would be reasonable to maybe have a mix of widths. As wear wouldn't be a big issue, maybe widths could be done with some interchangeable lasercut acrylic inserts that you supply a selection of - the user could file down specials as required.
That's also a pretty good idea - I guess it would have to anti-static acrylic though.

Mike

Quote from: fcb on April 07, 2011, 12:08:20 AM
Quote from: Mike on April 06, 2011, 11:54:37 PM
Agreed - endstop is much more useful - with endstop adjust you could easily cover all length variants of a given width - two widths would cover a high proportion of SO's - for a multi-lane vib it would be reasonable to maybe have a mix of widths. As wear wouldn't be a big issue, maybe widths could be done with some interchangeable lasercut acrylic inserts that you supply a selection of - the user could file down specials as required.
That's also a pretty good idea - I guess it would have to anti-static acrylic though.
I can't see that being a problem - acrylic on a metal plate with a chip shimmying along it is hardly going to build up a noticeable charge,  remember the D in ESD - you need current flow between pins, and even if a chip managed  to get significantly charged, you wouldn't get a discharge between pins during the placement process.

davidc

Mike you would know.. with all those voltages flowing round your place!! Van Der Graff eat your heart out!