Author Topic: Waffle Tray max size  (Read 957 times)

basemetal

• View Profile
Waffle Tray max size
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:58:35 PM »
We are placing a load of thin quad flatpacks 10x10x1 in waffle trays. We made an 8 x 8 tray and set the 1st and 2nd refs, but the picking gets progressively more offset the further we get from the refs. The x and y pitch for the waffle tray when we 'made' it is spot on, so i am wondering if the machine software for the waffle tray is limited to a specific size or a specific number of y direction 'lanes'.

If we set up each individual position bias (64 of them !) then it picks spot on, but then we need to fit in the next tray  >:(

Anyone experienced this?

trev

• View Profile
Re: Waffle Tray max size
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »
I think once it learns the position offsets for each location it remembers them. I had it with a TQFP tray. Double pick on each one to start with but then it remembers fine and not had an issue since.

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 10:45:25 PM »
You did set "lock feeders" didn't you...?

basemetal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:07:36 AM »
Thanks, yes it did double pick and correct but when we remove the tray and put a new one in we don't always get it back in exactly the same place so we have to reset the references - looks like we will have to make a jig for the trays.

Feeder is locked so its not trying to self correct and error stack.

After this job i will see what's going on and post. My head scratch is that all the x and y dimensions for the feeder are correct but it still progressively gets more and more off center.

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:41:13 AM »
What I do with trays is stick an empty one onto the base with double sided tape, then place a second tray on top - as they lock together, the alignment is good when replacing a tray. 
No need to make a jig - the tray is the jig!

trev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »
I used to get drift.

I think it's related to a bad cdf file setup and always perform a re center of the head at the start of each day. I usually do focus, re center and realign functions.

basemetal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »
Great tip Mike. Thanks!!  :)