Author Topic: Decent handheld multimeter  (Read 329 times)

phonoplug

• View Profile
Decent handheld multimeter
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »
The time has come to get a new meter. My 'second' one has suddenly started measuring very strange things and given its almost 30 years old I'm happy to say its done its time.

So my 'first' Tektronics one can now become the spare and I need to get a new sparkly one for its replacement.

I've never been a huge fan of Fluke though mostly they are undenyably decent pieces of kit. There are a lot of new names in the game since I last looked. Any suggestions? Budget up to £300 max but would prefer if it was closer to £200 or so. Don't want any scope functions, just a decent TRMS, robust bit of kit that will last a good number of years.

trev

• View Profile
Re: Decent handheld multimeter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »

spiyda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:38:19 AM »
It s not a "decent" meter, but you did say for a second meter..

For shear value for money, accuracy out of the box and functions, the little victor VC921 meters are hard to beat
they come with various brands on them for excample
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOTEK-VC921-Mini-Portable-Digital-Autoranging-Multimeter-Pocket-Multimeter-XU/283405452168
the chip in them seems to be as good as any 3 1/2 digit meter.
Autoranging, capacitance to 200 uF, frequency to 10 Mhz, REL and Hold,

they are only CAT II and don't read current but for the same price as a decent meter, you can get half a dozen.

I have about 4 and they all read well within their stated accuracy, and they fit in your pocket !

phonoplug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
Cheers for the replies. I went for a Keysight U1253B in the end. Actually I would have preferred the U1252B as the battery life is significantly better, but CPC had the 1253 on offer that made it quite a bit chealer than the 1252 anywhere else so needs must..