Author Topic: Static sticks 0402s to cover tape  (Read 716 times)

SteveW

• View Profile
Static sticks 0402s to cover tape
« on: May 30, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
One particular reel does it about 80% of the time, and some others do it far less.
The worst reel is a Farnell Multicomp branded, so it could be any manufacturer.

If I stroke the strip before it goes into the feeder, that bit doesn't static so much - but I'm using a lot of these parts (330R resistors), so that's a faff.
I've ordered another reel, since they're hardly expensive, but it seems a shame.
Humidity is about 20%, temperature is about 30 degrees (to make the solder printer happy, not because I like it)

Any hints?

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Static sticks 0402s to cover tape
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »
discharge (/?charge) brush? Damp sponge.. ?

SteveW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
Yeah, had nothing really to hand. Should have jammed a moist stencil wipe into the lane, I suspect.
I chose to swear at it (didn't help) and set retries to something insane (did help). Very frustrating - not sure if scrubbing the anodising off the stripper plate might help?
Probably not worth fretting about, job's done and that reel can go in the bin...

spiyda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 03:37:20 AM »
If the resistors are magnetic, you could stick a magnet to the feeder , under the tape where the cover tape peels away.
The magnetism should be enough to overcome the static attraction, and hold the resitor in the tape pocket.

SteveW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
hmm, that's a plan, I'll give it a go.