Static sticks 0402s to cover tape

Started by SteveW, May 30, 2018, 03:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveW

One particular reel does it about 80% of the time, and some others do it far less.
The worst reel is a Farnell Multicomp branded, so it could be any manufacturer.

If I stroke the strip before it goes into the feeder, that bit doesn't static so much - but I'm using a lot of these parts (330R resistors), so that's a faff.
I've ordered another reel, since they're hardly expensive, but it seems a shame.
Humidity is about 20%, temperature is about 30 degrees (to make the solder printer happy, not because I like it)

Any hints?

Mike

discharge (/?charge) brush? Damp sponge.. ?

SteveW

Yeah, had nothing really to hand. Should have jammed a moist stencil wipe into the lane, I suspect.
I chose to swear at it (didn't help) and set retries to something insane (did help). Very frustrating - not sure if scrubbing the anodising off the stripper plate might help?
Probably not worth fretting about, job's done and that reel can go in the bin...

spiyda

If the resistors are magnetic, you could stick a magnet to the feeder , under the tape where the cover tape peels away.
The magnetism should be enough to overcome the static attraction, and hold the resitor in the tape pocket.

SteveW

hmm, that's a plan, I'll give it a go.