Author Topic: Camera Difuser  (Read 6863 times)

Teuneman

Camera Difuser
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
Hi Guys

How would I go to work to remove the LED "doughnut" behind the diffuser of the camera pointing down. I need to replace the LED's and the Incredible Hulk in me is going to break this housing. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks a mil!

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Camera Difuser
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
Bear in mind that the alignment (especially rotation) of this camera is somewhat critical from the point of view of fiducial correction..
I have had one of these apart a few months ago but can't remember if the LED PCB is removable without taking the camera off the mount - looking at mine, there is a slot where the wire emerges, but I can't tell if there is any sort of internal retainer to prevent removal from the front. 
An alternative to replacement may be to use an external handheld torch when doing fiducial correction!

davidc

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:38:24 PM »
to take it out you have to remove the camera as the led array has to be pushed down. then the machine calibration is rendered useless. then the placement capability is compromised. you can adjust the settings but it wont work very well. DONT REMOVE THE FID CAM UNLESS YOU HAVE HOURS SPARE TO REPOSITION IN TO WITHIN 1 Thou OF AN INCH IN the X/Y and get the rotation bang on too. AND IF YOU HAVE THE CALIBRATION PLATE YOU ALSO NEED THE LIGHTING RIG TOO.  There as some things which aren't user serviceable on these machines. This is one of them. Which why when the fid cam is removed is is easier to spend 4 hours on a re grid than try to get it working again.

I had a machine from Mike which had had the camera removed... Had to recalibrate it completely.

If you use a hand held torch you might as well not bother. The Fid correction aligns everything. so make the dot you are looking at bigger or smaller or obround then the placement will be poor. its the same as using a hasl pad, poor and variable results every time.

If you want a machine thats so basic you can fix it all.... dont get an RV. It has a lot of capability but needs to be serviced and set up correctly.

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »
I had a machine from Mike which had had the camera removed... Had to recalibrate it completely.
Seeing as the camera was terminally dead there wasn't much option in this case!

If you use a hand held torch you might as well not bother. The Fid correction aligns everything. so make the dot you are looking at bigger or smaller or obround then the placement will be poor. its the same as using a hasl pad, poor and variable results every time.
As it's aligning to the centre, dot size shouldn't matter as long as it is symmetrical. Similarly any asymmetry should be fairly visible looking at the  onscreen image. Obviously you'd use a nicely diffused source, not a directional 'beamy' torch.

Applying some lateral thinking as to how you could realign the camera more easily, If before removing the camera, you were to move the head to a known position (e.g. centre of bed using feeder setup) , place a nice sharply drawn cross+box-shape at the right focus height on the bed, line it up with the camera centre and rotation and fix it down securely, it ought to be possible to realign the camera back to the same position to within a pixel or so (depending how easy it is to clamp the camera mount without it moving). 

Another pragmatic option may be to just make a new external LED ring to go round the camera body.

There as some things which aren't user serviceable on these machines. This is one of them.
Everything is user-serviceable, given sufficient time and determination  ;D

Teuneman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »
All sorted!

Thanks for the help.

T