Rotation-spotting opto device - source?

Started by SteveW, June 10, 2015, 08:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveW

The transmitter side of the optocoupler thingy that spots the slot in the placer head rotation (and I assume spots the bottoming out of the nozzle) has started to fail on warm days - it goes open circuit and I can see 5V across it, rather than a volt or so when it's working.

Anyone know what it is? It's an unusual flat design that I can't find in the 250 photo-interruptors Farnell list...
(I'm sure I can bodge something up from photodevices I've got handy, but I'd rather just drop in a replacement!)

Mike

Some opto-switches are literally just plastic casings into which standard 3mm LEDs & sensors are clipped, so may be an easy fix with a standard IR LED.

phonoplug

Was there any markings on your defective one? I had a look at my machine but am not keen to dis-assemble that just to look for any markings. I have a feeling they are available.

SteveW

I'm likewise reluctant to take my machine apart until I've got a spare lined up - it's fine up to about 28oC, and it's in heavy use at the moment. Breaking it would be bad... As soon as I get a break, I'll investigate.

SteveW

It's something that Aleph ( http://www.aleph-usa.com/ ) don't seem to sell any more, so I bodged something out of sidelooker TX & RX devices I had to hand.

However, it was a duff crimp in the 4-way socket to the arm board in the end. The forks that slit the insulation didn't pierce at all, and the contact was made by the bare end of the wire brushing against the crimp housing.

phonoplug

The machine has those connectors all over it. They're awful. Suspect they crimped the wires in using the £20 hand tool which you can easily accidentally spread the forks with. I've had to replace them in the motor control box on my machine with some proper crimped contact connectors.

Mike

I also had problems with these connectors in a feeder - replaced most of them in the arm with JST XH's when I tidied up the wiring.

phonoplug

Does anyone know the part number of this sensor? Mine is starting to play games with me....