Yes, it is a SCARA type geometry Aside from the presumed need for calibration, I wonder if it would cope with: The position-dependent offset between the fid cam and the head The constraints on reachable area including having to do some moves in two stages The on-the-fly vision of the RV4.
Apart from a handful of annoyances, the existing software is sufficiently useable that a major change like this would be a ton of work for questionable benefit.
Last post by trev - November 26, 2023, 06:57:35 PM
I have posted on here that I am building an OpenPNP based machine. I have quite a few spare parts for RV1 and RV4 machines that I will now look to sell on to people that could do with them.
I have some RV1 and RV4 machines that would best be used for spares. The RV1 machines I think are fully working but these machines are old and likely need a service etc and might have some faults I do not know about so they are best being sold to someone that knows what they are doing or would enjoy the project.
Last post by trev - November 26, 2023, 06:49:27 PM
I have started to purchase some parts to build my own machine. I think OpenPNP is mature enough to be useful. I feel there are many benefits despite the new learning curve it will hopefully be enjoyable.
Does anyone have any experience with these machines?
When I designed my feeder control board I implemented a soft start on the feed. I did this to stop led movement in the tape but also felt it would help with tape slip. I had a feeling the initial fast movement of the original feeder might cause the tape to slip easier. I think it helps but no real way to prove it.
I think dust on tape does build up and make the rubber surface too smooth after a while though.
Last post by spiyda - October 07, 2023, 12:08:08 AM
I assumed the problem was slipping of the o ring on the pull off tape, particularly on all plastic jobbies.. a possible solution would be to increase the diameter of both the spool pulley and the bottom pulley and use a bigger o ring,
Otherwise, a formulation of O ring that is grippier..
I've tried using Platenclene on the o rings and that helped,
I have noticed a build up of cover tape debris on the o rings so regular cleaning helps.
But I've more or less given in to using fishing weights for many of the feeders.. Its not too bad for components where theres just one per board, but for some boards I have up to ten of the same component and short of locating the machine in a shot tower, its a more or less continuous repositioning of the lead weight.
Sorry ran out of time before going away. My first print didn't print too bad but not great. Print Mike did looks great for an fdm printer. I think a cone shape on the nozzle would allow for printing without supports.